top of page

A Beginner's Guide to the 30% Tax Ruling

Updated: Jun 22, 2023

If you're an Indian expat working in the Netherlands, you may be eligible for the 30% ruling. This tax advantage allows you to receive a tax-free allowance of up to 30% of your salary. In this blog, we will provide you with a simple yet comprehensive guide to the 30% ruling in the Netherlands.




30% Ruling


  • The 30% ruling is a tax advantage for highly skilled migrants who have been recruited from abroad to work in the Netherlands. To be eligible for the 30% ruling, you must meet certain requirements, including a minimum salary threshold and specific skills and qualifications.


  • The ruling allows you to receive a tax-free allowance of up to 30% of your salary. This means that you will pay income tax only on 70% of your salary. The tax-free allowance covers various expenses related to your relocation to the Netherlands, such as housing costs and travel expenses.


  • The 30% ruling is valid for a maximum of five years. After this period, you will no longer be eligible for the ruling. However, if you become unemployed during this period, you may be able to extend the ruling for up to three months while you search for a new job.


  • To apply for the 30% ruling, you must submit an application to the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration. Your employer can also apply on your behalf. The application process can take several months, and you may need to provide various documents to support your application.


Example: If you earn €60,000 a year and are eligible for the 30% ruling, your taxable income would be €42,000 (70% of €60,000). The remaining 30%, or €18,000, would be tax-free. This would result in a tax saving of €5,310 per year (based on the 2022 tax rates).


For more information on the 30% ruling in the Netherlands, visit the website of the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst):



The 30% ruling can provide significant tax savings for highly skilled migrants working in the Netherlands. If you think you may be eligible for the ruling, it's worth considering. Remember, the application process can take several months, so it's essential to plan ahead and seek professional advice to ensure that you meet the requirements.


If you need further assistance with the 30% ruling or any other tax-related matter, contact a tax advisor to help you navigate through the complexities of the Dutch tax system.


If you come across any errors or have valuable insights or experiences to share, we wholeheartedly welcome your contributions! We believe in the power of community collaboration, and your input is essential in making our content even better.


If you're passionate about sharing your knowledge and experiences, we encourage you to drop a comment below or reach out to us via email at overseasdesis@gmail.com with your captivating blog idea. By joining forces with us, you'll have the incredible opportunity to become a valued contributor to our esteemed blog, enriching the lives of fellow readers with your unique perspectives and expertise. Together, let's create an engaging platform that empowers and supports our vibrant community!


24 views0 comments

Kommentare


bottom of page